Wednesday, January 03, 2007

By the cold stone she sat down and wept

"I think about him all day, every day," she said. "I'm lucky, though, because I don't think a lot of people get to fall in love the way I did. I'm glad I had him, even if it wasn't for very long."-- Kira, 19

Washington Post article about young Marine's romance and the sad painful reality of love and war

On Aug. 30, as she sat restlessly in class at Radford University, she wrote a poem about the month Colin was to return to her.

"To miss rough hands, stern eyes so much, They knife the heart with thoughts . . . of sweet February."

On the other side of the world, Colin had volunteered for a midday mission in the town of Habbaniya. His Humvee hit a roadside bomb. The blast ignited the gas tank, then the ammunition. He died instantly. Read more

You gotta. It's long article. Tugs the heart. It might be sap for some but I guess even cynics get sappy once in while.

No comments: